Celebrating NAIDOC Week
NAIDOC celebrations are held around Australia each July to celebrate the history, culture and achievements of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples. The week is celebrated not just in the Indigenous communities but also in increasing numbers of government agencies, schools, local councils and workplaces.
Here are some ideas on how to celebrate NAIDOC
- Hold a flag raising ceremony.
- Display Indigenous posters around your class room.
- Invite local Indigenous elders to speak at your school or workplace.
- Listen to Indigenous music.
- Study a famous Indigenous Australian.
- Research the traditional Indigenous owners of your area.
- Study Aboriginal arts and crafts.
- Read a Dreamtime story.
- Start your own Indigenous hall of fame featuring local role models.
- Create your own Aboriginal art.
- Visit Indigenous websites on the Internet.
- Make your own Indigenous trivia quiz.
- Visit local Indigenous sites of significance or interest.
- Learn the meanings of local or national Aboriginal place names.
- Run an art competition.